The practical death of survey sites?

Wolfchomp

I've been doing this for about... 2 years?

I've never seen things like this. Almost all of the major survey providers are starting to become sweepstakes companies.

I just can't find anything positive to say about what's been going on the last six months to a year. There used to be a dozen sites I thought were top notch. Now it's down to four. And those four are sending me far fewer surveys than they did a year ago.

Looking at traffic analysis sites, it would appear that crap sites like ZoomPanel and iPos are more popular than ever, and it makes me wonder if all of the "good" sites aren't headed in that direction, simply because they really can get away with it.

I'm fascinated that someone would take a half hour survey for a sweepstakes entry, but it appears as though they will.

So, what do you think? Is this the peak of the cycle or the beginning of the end?

I'm hopeful it's the first, but my gut tells me it's the second.

Myself, along with most of the long time members here have noticed this trend since it started for over a year now. In my personal experience, with the exception of Pinecone research and a few other occasional surveys, most surveys are now sweepstakes entries, deceptions, or rip offs. Why should shell internet companies ran in places with no laws or consequences for ripping people off actually pay people for their time when they can steal money from people and companies for free? I refuse to waste my time to enrich international criminal mobs and lie to myself about a "chance" of getting nothing in a "sweepstakes entry"

What I don't understand is why are these companies turning into sweepstakes sites now? There must have been a lot of people who did the sweepstakes surveys before this radical change.

Just look at the small number of posts here. I think everyone with a brain is giving up on the survey sites. They are all going to sweepstakes of pennies for hours of work.

• 1 month later...

When I started a couple of months ago I did a few surveys for sweepstakes but after reading the posts on this forum I stopped doing them. You should see all the available surveys I have at Global Test Market... All for sweepstakes entries :-)

IMO, I'm gettting less traffic period. I used to get way too many surveys to do a few years ago. Now, I get maybe 20 a day and half of them are garbage and the DQ rate on the others is pretty high.

I don't do sweepstakes surveys either! However I do like Zoompanel, because there are several things you can get from them. I have gotten a ton of free dvd's and other stuff from them.

Just look at the small number of posts here. I think everyone with a brain is giving up on the survey sites. They are all going to sweepstakes of pennies for hours of work.

I agree, there is just so much you can say about working for nothing! I used to belong to a ton of sites but have cut back, and still cutting back as I reach cashout with the duds. I got tired of my inbox staying full of junk from from people begging me to do their surveys for cents while they make big bucks. The other day I did a survey for $12 and later recieved the same survey from a different company offering $3. I didnot do it again because I didn't want to chance messing up with the good company. That is just too damn much difference-$9 per survey, times how many thousand who did it for $3. Thats a lot of money and you know they are getting paid the same damn thing.

Back to what Whatatay said, I recall when people were on here all the time talking good about most survey companies and helping the newbees get started. Now I would be ashamed to hook a newbee up with just about any of them. I think maybe the reason Survey Police complaint section has been down so long is because the survey companies are making so much money by not paying squat, that they don't care anymore. If we all quit today, they would have another bunch of dummies to take our place by the next day.

I agree with kim and gene. I'm down to four companies. Like soap operas, I wonder if survey's days are numbered? Have companies found a better way of testing products or getting opinions on products? I'm impressed that you received a survey for $12. That's like gold in survey money :(

OT: I have always liked this site because it has an intimate feel to it. Not like that slickdeals forum that I absolutely loathe :x

• 2 weeks later...

Global Test Market was one of my best survey companies. Now it is one of the worst. I am adding points to $50 payout reached because if I take payout I will need to start again from zero with little chance of reaching unrealistic $50 payout. After I cashout I will unsubscribe. Receiving sweep after sweep which I refuse to do & guess what they email me reminding me again about sweep surveys I have not done. Also inundated with OTX which is also useless. I emailed them suggesting that since their rewards have been reduced/practically non-existent, their payout is unrealistic & should be reduced to $5 or $10 & I received the usual generic reply. Also note

MarketPoints expire three years from the date of award and, if sooner, upon twelve (12) months of no account activity What happens after 3 years when you have not reached $50 cashout, will points be deleted? I emailed them about this but received no reply.

I think the thread should have been called "The practical death of paid survey sites".

With all the sweepstakes surveys coming out, there must be people doing them. I wish there were so many sweepstakes surveys coming out because everyone refuses to do them and the survey companies are desperate so keep "spamming" us with them. However, if that were the case, they would have to start offering some sort of reward.

As one reply in this thread mentioned, they are amazed people would spend 30 minutes doing a survey for a sweepstakes entry. Unfortunately it is worse than that. They will spend hours a day for months doing free sweepstakes entries. They have a mental problem that makes them think if they do free ones, they will be more likely to get paid ones. Hey, if the kid down the block wants to cut my grass for free every week, why would I pay him? Does your grocery store give you free bags of groceries in hopes you will occasionally come back and buy something? Of course not.

I absolutely REFUSE to do a survey for a sweepstakes entry. It's insane and I agree with Whatatay that the people willing to do them have mental problems, or a few screws missing. I also think that with all the unemployment we have right now the survey companies are taking advantage knowing people are desperate for money. Kim is right when she said that they will eventually reap what they have sown. Here's hoping they choke on it!