Amazon's MTurk?

swedishfish281

Just curious if anyone here is registered on Mturk (mturk.com). I just joined a few days ago and so far have earned about $5 mindlessly clicking/completing random small tasks. So far it seems ok, certainly nice to know I'm not spending time on a survey that I probably won't qualify for. I am wondering though what other people's experiences have been with Mturk?

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw this and tried it out.

Most of the tasks are relatively tiny things like one was 10cents for a short 4-question quiz, another was for "which search info you think is best?" - seems like they are pretty easy and there's tons of them.

Too early to say it's "great" since I just started - but it seems like it should be a way to make some extra money.

I gave this site a try and you can make a little money. I was on there the other day for 1 hour and made $5. The time working was about 15 minutes. The rest of the time was spent sorting out the scams. I won't mess with it for $5 per hour. If someone knows a way to do it without dealing with all the scams please let me know. It is full of scams from Jack Ramsey to Surveys 4 Profit so be careful what you log into.

Agreed, gene55 - I almost got caught on one where I had to install a program. Something told me to run it through my spyware program and sure enough, it caught something.

Reported that HIT for moderation.

But otherwise, I'm making a decent amount of money. Up to like 3.68 in hardly any time and I have more HITs pending for approval.

A lot of the tasks are more fun/interesting than surveys, or are much more interesting surveys/studies.

I usually stick with the under 2.00 ones (I sort by reward then keep clicking back - a lot of those seem like they are legit, though I still have to be careful and I avoid anything that's about logging to a site to click through or doing some offer/signing up to something.

Yeah, it seems like it might be a good place to make some money. Maybe when we find something good we post it here. That way we can save a lot of time searching. I did a couple today for GSB(Standford) that paid 50 cents each and they took less than 2 minutes. If we can get together I think there is potential.

Well, nothing "stunning" but if you can find some surveys from universities, usually they aren't too long and are pretty interesting. They don't pay a ton, but for how short they are, it's worth it.

No BS either. If they want to check that you're reading, they say so.

No qualifying crap either.

A lot of them have Qualtrics in the url somewhere in the survey link. Those are the ones I've done the most of.

Only thing I don't like is sometimes they make you find the time in some place and have to write it in some format - not hard, just annoying.

These are probably the ones you're doing too gene55?

• 2 weeks later...

I used to do mturk when it first came out--got enough money for an Arrested Development (tv show) dvd and then got out. Do they pay only in amazon dollars or can you get real $$$?

I used to do mturk when it first came out--got enough money for an Arrested Development (tv show) dvd and then got out. Do they pay only in amazon dollars or can you get real $$$?

If you link your bank account to you amazon payments account - you can have it transferred into real cash in the bank.

I have been freelancing on MTurk for over a year and I can vouch for it. I get about $50 a week working on HITs there. It's not great pay, but its something I can work on in my pajamas.

You will have a hard time making minimum wage, and you are also liable for your own taxes.

You can transfer your money to a bank account in the US. I think everyone else has to settle for gift card balance.

The Turkers have their own forum where they rat out the bad guys & praise the good ones:

http://turkers.proboards80.com/

• 1 month later...

I suggest everyone get a security add-on called W.O.T. (Web of Trust). It goes along with your existing security system and will identity malicious sites immediately before you open them. I love it. It was recommended to me a few years ago from the computer geeks at the online forum at Computer World (which I also suggest you join their forum).