A thought about payment from survey companies

footfree

I'm guilty,they're guilty and maybe even you are  but here is a thought.You know how we complain about the amount we are being paid ?Well what if it's not the survey companies fault but the company who solicits their business? I think these survey companies have packages that they sell to the business's and at whatever level they feel they want to pay for the info is broken down amongst us the survey takers.I do blame the survey companies for not paying us if we don't receive our points but the pay may not be left up to them.Unless they start paying us more from their cut of the share.I just know that the rate has fallen off at a lot of sites and I am not so sure I will continue to work for so few pennies.They cant survive without us but I am sure we all  could survive without them  considering the pay.I like the extra money and I do need it but if I had to I could get a part time job that pays more then they do.

• Like 2

I think it's the survey companies are the guilty ones.  They can sell to the companies for what ever price they want, I think the companies choose survey companies based more on the quality of  they say they can deliver. I know for a fact that at least some companies specify how much each survey taker gets because when universities give their contact info in the survey as well as how much we were supposed to be paid I would write them and let them know we don't get paid anywhere near that .  For instance the hire  qualtrics, believing qualtrics has their own survey panel, qualtrics then hires other survey panels, not specifying how much we get paid, then the survey companies they hire cheat us and keep most of the company.  

One university, we wrote back and forth, they confronted qualtrics and had Benjamin Alldredge
project manager
  from qualtrics cantact me.I told qualtrics it was their responsibility to see that the survey companies they hire pay us what the companies that hired them, believing that they had their own survey panel, specified that we get paid. Needles to say he did not reply back.

Most of these surveys I refuse to take and then write the university. One survey where I wrote them, they made the survey site pay more for the survey.

If the product companies knew how little we are being paid I don't think they will like it. They would find out they are being cheated and that the quality of the surveys suffer because for pennies some of us don't care what answers we give.

I wouldn't be surprised if the survey companies fake some surveys by making their employees take the very low paying surveys that some of us refuse to take.

That's is why I still think we should have some kind of union.

• Like 2

We really need to expose the way survey companies do this, surveys affect so many things and when everyone finds out that a lot of surveys are not accurate and some are skewed, I think hell will break loose and we will be paid more.

• Like 1

It's absolutely the survey company's fault, at least the majority of the time. I've seen the exact same survey pay reasonably on one site and hilariously badly on another site on multiple occasions. Most notably, I've been invited to complete a purchase diary for a month on several occasions from socialopinions, for $25 - I'd also been invited to complete the exact same purchase diary on several occasions from GTM (before I trashed GTM), which would have paid ~$8 in GTM points (that's before the recent change that would've made it even worse, probably). Granted, socialopinion pays in Amazon and GTM you can cash out for actual cash, but still.

• Like 1

I would say it's the survey companies because you will get so much for a survey at one company and get the same survey at another and get either more or less. I believe it's greed on the survey companies that pay you less for the same survey.

Just today I got a survey from Mintvine $ 0.40  for fifteen minutes, after clicking it I found it was one of the university surveys that was supposed to pay $5.00 for twenty minutes.   Below is the letter I wrote to the university.

Dear Mr. Camp,

Please be informed that your survey is being offered on the  Mintvine.com survey panel for $0.40. I declined to take the survey and I'm sure a lot of others declined also after seeing it is supposed to pay $5.00.

It is my understanding that universities such as yours hire survey companies to conduct your surveys, they in turn hire other survey panels to conduct the survey and those survey panels keep most of the money for themselves and only pay survey participants pennies for taking the survey. This practice lowers the quality of survey results.  

If the company you hired was Qualtrics, they mislead  you that they have their own survey panel and participants, they don't, they send out your surveys to different survey panels not bothering or caring to make sure the participants get the reward specified in the contract.

Mintvine

Survey for you! 15 minute survey

Complete this survey and earn 40 points

Survey code : Cyan Best Hippopotamus

If the survey is available, and you are disqualified, we'll give you 2 points.

DESCRIPTION:  You will complete a short descriptive writing task, complete a cognitive game, and answer some questions about your thoughts and opinions..   

TIME INVOLVEMENT:  Your participation will take approximately 20 minutes.

RISKS AND BENEFITS:  The risks associated with this study are minimal.  The benefits which may reasonably be expected to result from this study are none.  We cannot and do not guarantee or promise that you will receive any benefits from this study.

PAYMENTS:  You will receive $5.00 as payment for your participation.

SUBJECT'S RIGHTS:  If you have read this form and have decided to participate in this project, please understand your participation is voluntary and you have the right to withdraw your consent or discontinue participation at any time without penalty or loss of benefits to which you are otherwise entitled.  The alternative is not to participate.  You have the right to refuse to answer particular questions.  Your individual privacy will be maintained in all published and written data resulting from the study.

CONTACT INFORMATION:

Questions:  If you have any questions, concerns or complaints about this research, its procedures, risks and benefits, contact the Protocol Director, Nicholas Camp, [email protected], (443) 851-6783.

Independent Contact:  If you are not satisfied with how this study is being conducted, or if you have any concerns, complaints, or general questions about the research or your rights as a participant, please contact the Stanford Institutional Review Board (IRB) to speak to someone independent of the research team at (650)-723-2480 or toll free at 1-866-680-2906.  You can also write to the Stanford IRB, Stanford University, MC 5579, Palo Alto, CA 94304.

You may print this consent form to keep.

If you consent to participate in this study, please click “next”. Otherwise, please exit this survey now.

• Like 1