Why not pay right away?

Dover9

And why should one have to get a certain accumulated number of dollars/points to be paid? Think about it: the lower the threshold, the more likely the company is honest and is going to be there to pay you tomorrow. SurveySavvy will mail you a check for as little as $1. That's pretty good. Excellent, in fact. I've always counted them among the top for honesty and reliability. Of course I usually wait a bit and build up a reasonable amount because I know it costs them more if I cash out small amounts, but the fact that they WILL cash out a dollar gives me the confidence to think they are not there to scam me.

Opinion Outpost has a $5 which isn't too bad (they were sending Amazon codes for even less for a while but I think the cost of doing so with Amazon was getting to them). Pinecone sends me a $3 PayPal payment every time I complete a study. Those folks are honest and true.

So what about all these others who expect you to build up $25 or $50 worth of cash or points to receive your payment WHICH YOU ALREADY EARNED? We've seen what has happened in the past. When the company goes belly-up they take the money and run...or when they just decide they have enough of your money they freeze your account or kick you off the panel.

I guess what I am asking is: ISN"T it TIME for some kind of regulation for this industry? I'm not big on government regulation, but it seems to me these companies should be made to pay people the money they have earned in a timely manner. Some have equated the abuse in this industry to ponzi schemes & racketeering... Shouldn't the Attorney General take a look at this? Maybe the FBI? There's definitely money involved here or there wouldn't be so many different companies involved. Don't get me wrong. Lot's of these companies are legit. ...But as you must realize, lots of them are taking undue advantage of their well-meaning respondents... And I will wager that very few individuals get paid everything they are due.

p base is quite good at this too it took less than a month to get to there £10 minimum and requested the payment on a friday and recieved it in my account on the tuesday.

• 3 weeks later...

Payment threshold is actually pretty common all across the web. Ad networks, like google, have high payout thresholds. For google it's $100 and they are definitely a trusted company. I'm not sure what the reasoning is for it though. And I do agree with you that it's annoying. Maybe for some of them, they want to make sure they actually get payments from the companies that they are doing surveys for. I don't know.

Or, worse yet, from having a ridiculous cashout limit, and then mysteriously, once you get close, not sending you any more surveys, only to find out that if you don't cash out in a year (or whatever), you LOSE all of your earnings!!! (ala Epoll and others).

Sorry, I know I've ranted about this before - it just stinks that there is a time limit on cashing in money you have EARNED. That's like saying if you don't deposit your paycheck within 1 hour after receipt that you forfeit all of the money! Don't think that would fly too far :evil:

:evil: The best is when points expire after a certain date and you did not have enough to cash out. A great way for the survey company not to pay. You've done the work and they have the right to not pay you. This happened to me with clearvoice. They started deleting my points after 366 days but I did not have enough points to cash out. Very nice for the survey company a scam. How is this allowed? Since points must be used or you will lose them some companies allow the points to be used for useless sweeps. Another scam. If you've done the work and time has elapsed you should be paid for the work you've done.

:evil: The best is when points expire after a certain date and you did not have enough to cash out. A great way for the survey company not to pay. You've done the work and they have the right to not pay you. This happened to me with clearvoice. They started deleting my points after 366 days but I did not have enough points to cash out. Very nice for the survey company a scam. How is this allowed? Since points must be used or you will lose them some companies allow the points to be used for useless sweeps. Another scam. If you've done the work and time has elapsed you should be paid for the work you've done.

Another prime example is Toluna-Because when you get close enough the only survey's they send are the 30 minute surveys for a $1.00.They send them cause they know there is no way you'll demean yourself enough to work for so little pay.Then when your back is turned they start taking away your points and they don't tell you the ones they are taking because they only show you points from 3 months ago!

So I have ranted about this before but they have really pissed me off I'm at 42,000 points almost the 60,000 to cash out.Of course it falls on deaf ears they don't care why should they when they are making money off of poor fools like myself!I'm to close to back down or am I?What would you do?

So what do you think... Shouldn't these companies be OBLIGATED to pay if you earned the money?

Think about it: if you are fired from your job, or if you quit, your employer is OBLIGATED to pay what you have already earned.

Why shouldn't it be the same with these companies? Yeah, they claim that it's part of the contract (they are not "employers") and that's how they get away with it. But truly, shouldn't this be REGULATED? Why let these scammers get away with NOT PAYING if you don't have enough built up in your account if you quit or are dropped from the panel? I say (politely) "BS!!!"

Am I wrong?

I agree 100%.

And SOME do - like Pinecone. So if they can do it (or near enough - 2 days instead of 6 weeks), why can't the rest?

And I HATE thresholds. If it's too high (or effectively is, like $10 but you get .25 a survey...don't think so), I'm done. $10 is about the most I'll stand. The one good thing about OO is that's it's just $5 and some others have $5 awards you can cash in (then again, same rule applies - if it's $5 but they are paying $.30 per survey...). That's why I left GTM. Sure, it's $50 but it takes forever to get there. If I have 80 points, why can't I just cash those in? Or 300? Etc?

And I'm SICK of points. Just say how much money it is. Just another way to trying to fudge numbers to trick people who can't do math.

And yes, there should be some kind of regulation, even one as simple as - what you earn, you get paid. Period. Pay me every week/two weeks what I earned in that span. Even if it's $2. Amazon doesn't make me wait to reach some threshold to get my money if I sell something. I get my payment sent every two weeks. End of story. Even if it's $8.

Thresholds exist just to limit how much they pay. No other reason. They can hold my $8 out of $10 instead of just giving me my $8. And it's even worse for companies that don't send a lot of surveys or you have a hard time qualifying for.

Payment threshold is actually pretty common all across the web. Ad networks, like google, have high payout thresholds. For google it's $100 and they are definitely a trusted company. I'm not sure what the reasoning is for it though. And I do agree with you that it's annoying. Maybe for some of them, they want to make sure they actually get payments from the companies that they are doing surveys for. I don't know.

And it's still a pathetic thing.

It's stupid that they do that, and since it IS Google - they aren't exactly hurting for money. Just a way to keep the payouts down.

Not sure if anyone's has noticed but Opinion Outpost jacked it's cheque cashout to now $20(200 points) I noticed this the other day...they do still have the $5 Amazon option to cashout with though...

I did read this about "do your Opinion points expire"...

Do my Opinion Points expire?

As long as you are an active member of Opinion Outpost.com your Opinion Points will not expire. The only situation that may result in a revocation of Opinion Points are actions that violate the panel member user agreement (multiple accounts per household, consistently false/poor data, etc).

• 1 month later...

Because they want to make sure people are actually giving their honest opinions and not just horsing around. You know how every other site has bullets and Pinecone has you actually typing, "I AGREE"? That's one of the ways they can verify that you're actually reading and not just pushing buttons or hitting random numbers.

And if you have taken a survey, like those Brain Juicer ones, you'll see what I mean. When they give you answers to choose from, based on other respondents, it's a lot of "ujfdbhjjfckjffjjgt" and "I don't care" random answers.