Is Survey Savvy any good, or even legit?

scooterb2015

I used them for a few years, and didn't mind waiting for that paper check. I gave them up after being badgered, too often,  about joining the newer version where they wish to pay you some sort of ownership stock instead of cash, and some other minor reasons. And I didn't want to install any tracking device from them, Nielsen or anyone else, because I didn't want to slow down my device, or cause any problems or data issues due to my participation with many survey companies.

• Like 1

So, I am working my way through different survey panels to figure out which are worth my time and which are not.  I have seen on several sites that in addition to the 2-step verification and address info (the 2-step is to get your phone number and verify email, and the address is supposedly to help get you paid), they ask for (1) location access and (2) to install a browser extension.  The location access is so that they can send you a survey at a store you may be shopping at or are near a store they may ask you to go "do a mission"in.  I have agreed to the location access for a couple sites but have yet to agree to the extension because I am concerned about access to my phone and/or personal data, etc. 

So with that long winded intro, I ask if Savvy Connect is like either of those or is it something different?  jberri mentioned a VPB associated with SavvyConnect.  Will that interfere with the VPN I am currently using on my phone?  And, I read that Savvy Connect is "passive", so it runs in the background and is not even noticeable.  Is this true? 

And although this is not on directly on track with the original topic question; what is the difference between installing a browser extension and installing an App (?) like Savvy Connect?  I personally like the idea of getting some extra $ and am curious about the effect of having Savvy Connect installed on multiple devices?  I have a tablet and a laptop and cell -- that's $180 per year @ $15 per month...to do essentially nothing?

20 hours ago, jberri12 said:

Most, if not all, of these usage monitoring apps require the use of a VPN (virtual private network) set up to capture and analyze the network traffic from the device on which it's installed.  A VPN will change your IP address from that device that's visible to the rest of the internet, including other survey panels.  That's why I do not install them, as it would raise a red-flag with fraud prevention software used not only on survey  panel sites but other sites too.

I suppose if it was set up before you sign up for the panel it might be ok, or if you install it on a device that you are not using to answer surveys, but I've never tried that.  Anyway if it works for some people that's great.  I just don't want to take the risk.

The ones on my system from Survey Savvy and Nielsen did not require a VPN. They were a simple install and run in the background.

19 hours ago, dimefynder said:

I used them for a few years, and didn't mind waiting for that paper check. I gave them up after being badgered, too often,  about joining the newer version where they wish to pay you some sort of ownership stock instead of cash, and some other minor reasons. And I didn't want to install any tracking device from them, Nielsen or anyone else, because I didn't want to slow down my device, or cause any problems or data issues due to my participation with many survey companies.

Have not noticed any slowdown with the 2 installed nor has there ever been any issue with any survey company.

18 hours ago, scooterb2015 said:

So, I am working my way through different survey panels to figure out which are worth my time and which are not.  I have seen on several sites that in addition to the 2-step verification and address info (the 2-step is to get your phone number and verify email, and the address is supposedly to help get you paid), they ask for (1) location access and (2) to install a browser extension.  The location access is so that they can send you a survey at a store you may be shopping at or are near a store they may ask you to go "do a mission"in.  I have agreed to the location access for a couple sites but have yet to agree to the extension because I am concerned about access to my phone and/or personal data, etc. 

So with that long winded intro, I ask if Savvy Connect is like either of those or is it something different?  jberri mentioned a VPB associated with SavvyConnect.  Will that interfere with the VPN I am currently using on my phone?  And, I read that Savvy Connect is "passive", so it runs in the background and is not even noticeable.  Is this true? 

And although this is not on directly on track with the original topic question; what is the difference between installing a browser extension and installing an App (?) like Savvy Connect?  I personally like the idea of getting some extra $ and am curious about the effect of having Savvy Connect installed on multiple devices?  I have a tablet and a laptop and cell -- that's $180 per year @ $15 per month...to do essentially nothing?

SavvyConnect did not require a VPN and has caused no issues with performance or survey sites.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, episemion said:

SavvyConnect did not require a VPN and has caused no issues with performance or survey sites.

Hi episemion how are you?

Thanks for this vibrant info.

On 7/17/2023 at 7:48 AM, episemion said:

Have not noticed any slowdown with the 2 installed nor has there ever been any issue with any survey company.

I should have been more clear, and specified that the Savvy app isn't an inherent energy or data drainer. But it can be the tipping point for those who essentially use, mostly,  their phone for what they seriously need to use a desktop for. I know most of these apps are meant for smart phones, but still...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dimefynder said:

I should have been more clear, and specified that the Savvy app isn't an inherent energy or data drainer. But it can be the tipping point for those who essentially use, mostly,  their phone for what they seriously need to use a desktop for. I know most of these apps are meant for smart phones, but still...

I use a PC , so that is a non-issue for me. It would be a drain on a phone , though.