Some type of malware detector may be good for taking surveys

Useless

I've got the free version of Malwarebytes, and at least a few times a month it blocks a survey a few questions in saying that there's malware. I just got another one like that. As often as it happens, I just thought I might give you guys a heads-up. I wouldn't put it past some creeps to stick malicious code into a survey to snag unsuspecting people.

2 hours ago, Useless said:

I've got the free version of Malwarebytes, and at least a few times a month it blocks a survey a few questions in saying that there's malware. I just got another one like that. As often as it happens, I just thought I might give you guys a heads-up. I wouldn't put it past some creeps to stick malicious code into a survey to snag unsuspecting people.

Malwarebytes does it for me too

I have the free version of Malwarebytes , but have never had it pop-up during a survey. How did you get it to pop-up? What setting? From what I can see , such an option is only available in the premium (paid) version. What survey sites and surveys caused it to do that?

2 hours ago, episemion said:

I have the free version of Malwarebytes , but have never had it pop-up during a survey. How did you get it to pop-up? What setting? From what I can see , such an option is only available in the premium (paid) version. What survey sites and surveys caused it to do that?

It pops up all by itself and tells you the site is unsafe. I then cancel the survey and go on to something else. I just have the settings that come with the free version, haven't changed anything.

I have Avast free software.  Consumer Reports recommends it.  I have never had Avast find anything suspicious in any of the surveys I have done.  They just found something suspicious in one of the emails I got a few days ago

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NFriday said:

I have Avast free software.  Consumer Reports recommends it.  I have never had Avast find anything suspicious in any of the surveys I have done.  They just found something suspicious in one of the emails I got a few days ago

I have McAfee and it has been superb for as long as I have used it. I get alerts on web sites all the time. It has never seen any issues with any surveys. Also have Malwarebytes free version with the default settings. Never had it warn on any surveys. I scan periodically with it.

2 hours ago, NFriday said:

I have Avast as well. In my experience malwarebytes finds things Avast doesn't,  one being an anti-virus program and the other searching for malware.

I have McAfee too.  I thought I got rid of it when I switched to Avast, but for some reason it does not want to leave.  There are a few instances where it warned me about something that I was sure was safe.

Actually, the only site where I've had warnings is Prime Opinion, but since they have so many more surveys available than anyone else, I don't fault them for that at all. The warning will just pop up a few pages in to a survey and says "Malware detected." I just cancel and explain in the Prime Option box that asks why I quit. I figure they should know about any malware discovered so they can screen out a survey company if this happens a lot with one customer.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, NFriday said:

I have McAfee too.  I thought I got rid of it when I switched to Avast, but for some reason it does not want to leave.  There are a few instances where it warned me about something that I was sure was safe.

If McAfee is still functioning , it would have to be active and still being paid for.

Check on your system for McAfee. If anything is found , go to the McAfee site and locate / download the MCPR removal tool. That should clear it out.

I got McAfee for free when I purchased my Dell computer.  I then got a  notice maybe a year later that my free version was expiring, and they were trying to get me to sogn up for the paid version, but I never did., but I still get messages from McAfee that they found a virus or malware.

20 hours ago, NFriday said:

McAfee is VERY invasive and so difficult to get rid of. I used a free version of Revo uninstaller to really get it off my computer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sandy21 said:

McAfee is VERY invasive and so difficult to get rid of. I used a free version of Revo uninstaller to really get it off my computer.

Both Revo and the McAfee tool will remove it.

• Like 1

When I tried to sign into my McAfee account tonight, I could not remember my password.  I asked them to let me set up a new password, and they never sent me an email.

7 hours ago, NFriday said:

When I tried to sign into my McAfee account tonight, I could not remember my password.  I asked them to let me set up a new password, and they never sent me an email.

Only suggestions would be to try again and check spam. Also , try contacting support.

• Like 1