Have you ever had to return a product for a product test?

DanaEm

Many years ago I tested vanilla Coke, and had to return the empty bottles. I guess they didn't want design info getting out. It made sense because it was well before it hit the scene. But I've had to return other things that had been out for years. Most recently, I tested a very nice high end electronic product, and the perk turned out to be that we would get to keep it.

Kind of unrelated, but has anyone ever participated for a product test only to receive it and find the methods for providing feedback make it hard for you to follow-up? I prefer taking follow-up surveys on the computer but when they explain after the fact that there is no online survey but other methods, like phone or chat, it just makes it harder. I never know when they're going to call or what time of day they choose to start a chat because of other obligations. So now I have the product but can't give my opinion. Has this happened to anyone else and if so, did you ever lose your membership with a panel? (I hope the latter doesn't happen to me)

• 5 weeks later...

I am doing a PT right now, for a company I have never done any PTs for in the past. This is the first one. I have to return the product at the end of testing period, and they sent me pre-paid packaging to do it. It's not anything I really care too much about keeping, but it's just an extra thing to have to remember to do. I can see why they want the product returned, though -- it's to examine the wear and tear on it, up close, rather than just relying on someone's description.

I have had at least two product testings where I got the product, but never got a survey to fill out. The last time that happened I got a box with enough detergent to do 102 loads. I have not had to buy any detergent in over a year, and no I do not have a family, and so I don't go through that much detergent.

I was supposed to return one. They said they would pay me $10 once they got it back. I never got the postage paid box to send it back. It's still sitting here. The product was a total joke. Fell right apart.

• 1 month later...

I am now saddled with two products -- from two different survey companies -- that I have to send back. What a pain!

The first PT-to-be-returned is the one I wrote about in this thread on June 26th. I am still testing it and will have to send it back fairly soon. The PT is not large, so it will be fairly easy to package up and send to the survey place via regular mail.

Another PT that I have had in my possession for the last 6 weeks is going to have to be returned -- and the survey place did NOT tell me up front that they would need for me to return it in its original packaging. They never said one word about eventually needing the product and its packaging back. I didn't find out that little tidbit of info until today, when I did the follow-up survey to give my thoughts on the product.

It turns out that I still have the original box the PT came in, but I almost threw it out last week. This item is on the large side, and rather cumbersome. It will be a nuisance to have to disassemble it and package it in the original box, and then deal with UPS or FedEx to send it back. Supposedly I will be "compensated" for doing all of this, but I have no clue how much -- probably not enough to make it worthwhile.

I have done quite a few PTs, most were for fairly inexpensive products. I have been asked to do one for a product that probably cost between 150-175 Retail. I am to use it for 6 months and return it, I am hoping they will change their mind. They will have no use for it once it is returned, they will just have a product that was used for 6 months, it seems so stingy to ask for it back. Anyone been in the same situation?

Yes, I had to return a container of cologne in roughly 2 weeks after use.

I have done quite a few PTs, most were for fairly inexpensive products. I have been asked to do one for a product that probably cost between 150-175 Retail. I am to use it for 6 months and return it, I am hoping they will change their mind. They will have no use for it once it is returned, they will just have a product that was used for 6 months, it seems so stingy to ask for it back. Anyone been in the same situation?

I think I have the same thing you have for 6 months. They can have it back as far as I'm inclined................ 8)