Unionization, anyone?

opinionated1

The way I see it: Companies pay a lot of money for research, They pay the survey companies to get the results. The survey companies pay out very little and keep the money for themselves. One example is i-say.com, they offer .90 for the 30 minute advertising survey and the survey itself says it pays $3.00. Or they just offer a sweepstakes entry. If we can get laws, rules, regulations for these survey sites they would pay fair. Or a class action lawsuit against the companies and the survey sites.

As far as them shutting down and no one making money from taking surveys, I don't see that happening because the company need the research so they can make more money. The worst that can happen is that companies go back to the way they did it before the internet, by mail where they send you money with the survey, or in person where they paid no less than $20.00.

It's time we stood up to all these greedy corporations that make billions and pay workers very little. What do they need all that money for?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• footfree

• avemaria

• ksedwar

• opinionated1

The way I see it: Companies pay a lot of money for research, They pay the survey companies to get the results. The survey companies pay out very little and keep the money for themselves. One example is I-Say.com, they offer .90 for the 30 minute advertising survey and the survey itself says it pays $3.00. Or they just offer a sweepstakes entry. If we can get laws, rules, regulations for these survey sites they would pay fair. Or a class action lawsuit against the companies and the survey sites.

As far as them shutting down and no one making money from taking surveys, I don't see that happening because the company need the research so they can make more money. The worst that can happen is that companies go back to the way they did it before the internet, by mail where they send you money with the survey, or in person where they paid no less than $20.00.

It's time we stood up to all these greedy corporations that make billions and pay workers very little. What do they need all that money for?

Greed!!!!!!I mean really who needs a gold thrown to sit on while going to the bathroom.Who needs umpteenth Rolex's ,cars and jets.No one ,guess they never read Matthew 19:24 in the bible where it says

It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Karma may yet be their undoing.......................

The same thing any company needs money for. They have a workforce, overhead, etc.

Novel idea... If you want a set wage go get a real job.

Thanks everyone who weighed in on my original post! You've all given me much to think about. I can see how a union would be difficult to organize in the online survey taking community, but I still can't shake this idea that we could advocate for ourselves somehow. One idea I've been toying with is a kind of "commune" (either virtual or brick and mortar) called MECI (Marginally Employed Community Initiative). It could be an intentional community of marginally employed (or employable) people who pool their resources (money they make from taking online surveys, aluminum can recycling, focus groups, etc). Any thoughts?

It could be an intentional community of marginally employed (or employable) people who pool their resources (money they make from taking online surveys, aluminum can recycling, focus groups, etc). Any thoughts?

Yea. What are we pooling our money for? It's sometimes hard enough to donate one of the charities that the survey panels offer us to donate to. I still do now and then but not all of the time. Pooling the money does not sound at all good. If you want more survey dollars then find time to do more surveys. I'm not giving anyone the dollars I make...

If you are talking about a simple community collective where we could openly discuss our experiences in the survey panels and share ideas about other money making ideas then there is already a community for that. Right here: [Click]

Thanks everyone who weighed in on my original post! You've all given me much to think about. I can see how a union would be difficult to organize in the online survey taking community, but I still can't shake this idea that we could advocate for ourselves somehow. One idea I've been toying with is a kind of "commune" (either virtual or brick and mortar) called MECI (Marginally Employed Community Initiative). It could be an intentional community of marginally employed (or employable) people who pool their resources (money they make from taking online surveys, aluminum can recycling, focus groups, etc). Any thoughts?

Looks like it took a while to come up with up with this thought.You said pool our resources?So who will keep up with the funding?Us?Wouldn't it be hard to have a brick and mortar store?That takes capital and I don't believe you will talk people into giving money for this.I don't hand out money to people who I don't know.To many questions and not enough answers.

I agree, Idylatoo... it would be nice, but it's just not "doable" for the reasons you mentioned....

I agree completely. It would be much easier to unionize a herd of sheep. At least the sheep would stick together.

aluminum can recycling? this sounds like a temp agency for homeless people.. the problem with this is the survey clients don't want homeless people.. they want people in regular structured lives and jobs..

they want people in regular structured lives and jobs..

And they don't want people in an organized group. Like a union. That would dilute the answer pool because we would all have the same things in common rather than being diverse and independent thinking.

i think also that companies don't want full time people who do as many surveys as possible..they just want random samplings into the daily lives of the people they poll.. it's why we're always asked if we've done such and such a survey in the past.. if we answered yes to this question, we'd get probably 10 surveys a month instead of the regular.. because how many survey categories are there?

• 2 weeks later...

A union doesn't make sense..There are millions of people taking surveys to make a buck..Has anyone ever did a map search on google of the physical address of a survey site..Try it,you would be amazed.

aluminum can recycling? this sounds like a temp agency for homeless people.. the problem with this is the survey clients don't want homeless people.. they want people in regular structured lives and jobs..

This.

The money you get from taking surveys is just a small gesture of thanks, it's not a paycheck. Nobody HAS to do it, nor does a company have to pay you if you're not qualified. If you need those extra $50 to survive, please do us a favor and terminate your internet service that you can easily do without.

small gesture of thanks? they need to be real here though.. the majority of the panel base is not taking time out of their busy lives to do a survey (after wasting 15 minutes disqualifying first), for nothing.. we do it because it's a good supplement for time.. a way to deflect things like the increased gas costs and whatnot.. but no way am i taking an hour out of my day with two kids running around the house because i'm interested in giving them a kind gesture so 'they' can make money from 'their' clients.. i have motives for being in a survey.. and it's money.. period.. and my motivation to give a good effort is determined by how much I feel they're not screwing me over.. and those of us who have been doing surveys a few years know that we're doing the same for less now.. so why should the effort on our end stay the same if the balance on the other side has eased up?..