Government regulation? Do we want it?

matthewk

You hit the nail on its head. Your assessment of the situation is right on. I have spoken about this over the years and feel that something should be done. If we don't get regulation and expose the abuse by the survey companies it will never change. It is my understanding that these companies are paid well for each person that participate in the surveys. We must understand that this is a business and should be regulated like any other business. Some of these companies are grossing millions, especially the international ones. The survey companies would not survive if they were paid .25, .50 or even $1.00 for each survey. Remember we work for them. They need us in order to survive. Government agencies such as the Dept of Labor should be contacted. Lets stand up for our rights as independent contractors and get what we deserve.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• car9og

• ksedwar

• matthewk

• footfree

I get frustrated too but having survey panels regulated will just make things worse in my mind. The panels don't want "professional survey takers" who don't care about accuracy and who lie because they are in it for the money and nothing more. The panels want every day normal people giving honest feedback. If we are regulated it would no longer be every day normal people giving feedback because we would then be organized like a union and they would drop everyone that they even slightly suspected of being organized.

I agree customer service could be better with some panels but bad customer service isn't a legal matter.

Yet, they (the survey companies) get professional money. So what you are saying is, keep using us for your benefit. I don't mind being paid pennies?

You can still be an everyday person taking surveys -- you just want your fair shake!!! I rather have 1 survey that pays $5.00 than 10 that pays .50. We don't need to keep allowing this. I love taking surveys.

If and independant contractor decided to do a job for a company that makes billions of dollars a year they would be crazy to bid the job according the company bank account. That's not how it works. How much the survey companies make is totally irrelevant compared to what we decide we will or won't work for.

If and independant contractor decided to do a job for a company that makes billions of dollars a year they would be crazy to bid the job according the company bank account. That's not how it works. How much the survey companies make is totally irrelevant compared to what we decide we will or won't work for.

While I agree with your assessment on how to bid for a job if your a independent contractor I have some other areas I don't agree with.A independent contractor sets his pay then the company who hires him will either agree to that pay or find someone else.A independent contractor also can walk away from a job if he feels it isn't worth his time for the pay hence what us survey takers do.However even if this is the case independent contractors need to stick together and agree that we will not be taken advantage of and stick up for each others rights.I know that there will always be those few who come in and under bid and then in turn get all the work and turn around and do a lousy job.So I think companies should value those of us who are willing to do the work honestly and pay a decent wage.If us the contractors don't stick up for each other then who will?We all have rights and we should value are work or should I say the survey companies should.

Minimum wage? Mmmm, its not a job though. We're taking surveys to give them feedback for their clients...is that a job? I don't think it is.

When you give your precious time - it is a job. Think about the money they are making off you. It is not peanuts :?::?:

Do you know how many times I have complained about the very same thing?Yes I agree with you -we do not work or live in a third world country and shouldn't be treated as so.I believe reform is in order however not many people agree with me or nor do they know how to go about it being done.I wish I knew the answer -plus one other thing it has been said that we are taking surveys of our own free will.So if you don't like the conditions then don't do them. Seems like a logical answer if you don't want people trying to make a change.I wish someone could stir the pot I would like to see what could happen.

You have the right to do what you want and get paid fairly. Personally, I like doing surveys. Think about it--these companies are not doing this for charity :!::!: .

Do you know how many times I have complained about the very same thing?Yes I agree with you -we do not work or live in a third world country and shouldn't be treated as so.I believe reform is in order however not many people agree with me or nor do they know how to go about it being done.I wish I knew the answer -plus one other thing it has been said that we are taking surveys of our own free will.So if you don't like the conditions then don't do them. Seems like a logical answer if you don't want people trying to make a change.I wish someone could stir the pot I would like to see what could happen.

You have the right to do what you want and get paid fairly. Personally, I like doing surveys. Think about it--these companies are not doing this for charity :!::!: .

I like doing surveys as well.Well I do if they pay me fairly.I know they aren't doing this out of charity and I'm not either.Do I think it's about time for reform ,you bet your booty I do and I have felt that way for a very long time.It's that this issue comes up from time to time and nothing ever gets doesn't resolved or done about it.I don't know how to go about it ,I wish I did or anyone for that matter.

I'm going to let the free market work it out. Companies are going to realize that low pay results in lack of interest in doing their surveys. Hopefully. The number of threads I see on Reddit for Swagbucks surveys where people freely admit to changing their demographics is unbelievable. We're not talking about stretching the truth a wee bit, we are talking about outright falsehoods. IMO it is in the companies best interest to pay more for reliable results. More along the lines like Pinecone. Wishful thinking probably but companies like Pinecone do what they do for a reason.

The number of threads I see on Reddit for Swagbucks surveys where people freely admit to changing their demographics is unbelievable.

I agree. Websites like Reddit are not doing any good for the honest people. They cleaned up some of the 'how to cheat' topics but they still allow too much. People sharing survey demographics causes the survey vendors to use more quality control and that costs money that is taken out of our potential earnings.

I'm going to let the free market work it out. Companies are going to realize that low pay results in lack of interest in doing their surveys. Hopefully. The number of threads I see on Reddit for Swagbucks surveys where people freely admit to changing their demographics is unbelievable. We're not talking about stretching the truth a wee bit, we are talking about outright falsehoods. IMO it is in the companies best interest to pay more for reliable results. More along the lines like Pinecone. Wishful thinking probably but companies like Pinecone do what they do for a reason.

A decent company that wants to do a good job on research will follow in Pinecone's footsteps. I question some of these survey companies, and currently looking for more Pinecone type companies. I am down to two survey companies, but on the lookout for more decent ones (not many left). I am also looking into community panels that pay just as much on a monthly basis, and they allow you to control your time more.

• 2 weeks later...

I am not a big fan of having more big brother in my life, but at the same time..

In the US any job I have ever had I was free to walk away from when I wanted to. I mean have any of you ever been forced to keep a job by the government, short of agreeing to be in the military?

IMHO that kind of takes away the argument that they can pay peanuts and we should be happy with it, we can take it or leave it. I am still not sure what makes taking surveys different from other types of work in that it allows the employers to treat us poorly.

As an aside, I got bounced from one survey the other day, but the company (OO) that I entered it from was paying a couple of bucks. I went through all the fine print and someplace in the fine print it mentioned that they were actually paying $75 for that one. So, I suspect that OO was pocketing someplace over $70 bucks off of our backs on that one alone.

And they give you a hard time when a survey you spent a half hour on crashes and you don't get paid the 50 cents they promised you.

I get frustrated too but having survey panels regulated will just make things worse in my mind. The panels don't want "professional survey takers" who don't care about accuracy and who lie because they are in it for the money and nothing more. The panels want every day normal people giving honest feedback. If we are regulated it would no longer be every day normal people giving feedback because we would then be organized like a union and they would drop everyone that they even slightly suspected of being organized.

I agree customer service could be better with some panels but bad customer service isn't a legal matter.

Normal every day people don't do surveys - its not worth their while. Most people taking surveys are professional survey takers like us. The companies (survey companies that is) don't mind you dressing up the surveys - they just want the money. Believe me. Why not be regulated? You will not lose much, especially since you are making "pennies" anyway. Think about it. I am down to 2 survey companies that pay the most for my time.

I am not a big fan of having more big brother in my life, but at the same time..

In the US any job I have ever had I was free to walk away from when I wanted to. I mean have any of you ever been forced to keep a job by the government, short of agreeing to be in the military?

IMHO that kind of takes away the argument that they can pay peanuts and we should be happy with it, we can take it or leave it. I am still not sure what makes taking surveys different from other types of work in that it allows the employers to treat us poorly.

As an aside, I got bounced from one survey the other day, but the company (OO) that I entered it from was paying a couple of bucks. I went through all the fine print and someplace in the fine print it mentioned that they were actually paying $75 for that one. So, I suspect that OO was pocketing someplace over $70 bucks off of our backs on that one alone.

And they give you a hard time when a survey you spent a half hour on crashes and you don't get paid the 50 cents they promised you.

Part of what you are saying is true, however for once in our lives let's stand up for what we believe in. DON'T ALWAYS ALLOW SOMEONE TO CHEAT YOU. Whether you stay or not you should at some point take a stand.

IMHO, I think government is in our lives enough. :?

And "BIG BUSINESS" is in your mind, body and soul. They control the country and you as well. Go figure :?::?::?: