Hotspex reveals new prize x-change - RUN THE OTHER WAY!

jellyfish

When I got the email from "Carly" stating they've FINALLY revealed a new prize redemption program, and saw we could exchange for Amazon GC's, I was mildly encouraged. So, I traded in most of my "bux" for a $15 Amazon GC which they apparently send via snail mail rather than email like most companies. I was mildly annoyed by that but then I received an email following the placement of my order. It stated:

"Thank you – you have just made a purchase in our Amazon XChange! To finalize your order simply complete the attached Release Form and submit it through email to [email protected], or through fax at 416-487-0157. Once your Release Form has been received, we will process your Amazon gift card. You should expect to receive it between 2-4 weeks."

Release form? HUH?! So I open the attached form:

40 EGLINTON AVE. E . • SUITE 801 • TORONTO, ONTARIO • M4P 3A2 • P: 416.487.5439 • F: 416.487.0157 • http://WWW.HOTSPEX.BIZ

AMAZON.COM GIFT CARD RELEASE FORM

I, __ (full name) hereby state and declare that I understand the exchange between my Hotspex BUX for Amazon.com Gift Card(s).

Please send my Amazon.com Gift Card(s) to the following address:

Address: _________________________

City: ____________________________

State/Province: ___________________

Postal/Zip Code: __________________

In consideration for the receipt of the item as mentioned above, I hereby:

(a) Acknowledge that the Amazon.com Gift Card(s) is as described on Hotspex.com;

(b) Agree to accept the Amazon.com Gift Card(s) as awarded, in the condition in which I receive it;

© Fully discharge and release Hotspex inc., whatsoever for damage, loss or injury, howsoever arising as a result of my participation in accepting and using the item which I, my heirs, executors, administrators, personal representatives, successors or assigns have, may have or could have now or hereafter against them or any of them in respect of or relating to the Contest and the prize, including without limitation receipt of the Prize and use of the Prize, whether such use is by me or by anyone else acting with or without my knowledge and/or consent;

(d) Acknowledge that Hotspex inc. is not responsible for any lost or stolen Amazon.com Gift Cards

40 EGLINTON AVE. E . • SUITE 801 • TORONTO, ONTARIO • M4P 3A2 • P: 416.487.5439 • F: 416.487.0157 • http://WWW.HOTSPEX.BIZ

(e) Declare that:

(i) I have complied with, and will comply with, all the rules, and I have answered

the fact-based question in the manner prescribed;

(ii) I am an individual resident of Canada or another country and am not an

employee, representative or agent of any of the afore mentioned Sponsors, their

subsidiaries, affiliates, associated companies, advertising agencies or the contest

judges and I am not domiciled with any of the above;

(iii) I have reached the age of majority in my province, territory or state of residence

or, if not, my parent, guardian or other authorized legal representative has

signed this release to indicate his/her consent on his/her and my behalf and my

travelling companion is over the age of majority and assumes responsibility for

me; and

_

WITNESS’ SIGNATURE SIGNATURE TELEPHONE #

___________________ _____________

DATE DATE

____

Overkill, anyone?

I attempted to fill most of it out and email it, but guess what? It couldn't connect to my email program and I do not have access to a fax machine. By this time I'm furious, and have sent an email to the prize redemption division AND "Carly", demanding they send me my Amazon GC and remove me as an "innovator" after doing so. I will end up losing some "bux" but I don't even care anymore, as long as I receive my GC. I also told them that if they don't comply, I would be filing a complaint here and with the BBB. I am done! Beware of this company.

:evil::twisted::evil::twisted:

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jellyfish

• majax79

• insomniac

• footfree

I quit them several years ago -nice survey web site but never wanted to pay for my time-so I quit!!!!!Glad to know I made a wise choice!

They ignored my first inquiry, so today I sent them another one. I got a reply from "carly" today:

"Sorry we haven’t replied sooner: we’ve been bombarded with e-mails since we introduced the new prize Xchange and I’ve been unable to keep up!

Because so many people do not update their address, we have to have the form filled out by all panellists. We are working on putting the from online but wanted to allow you to redeem BUX for gift cards as soon as possible. As explained in the terms, we cannot send the gift card unless you fill out and return the form (you can print it and return it by max or mail if you are unable to e-mail it).

As per your request, I’ve deactivated your Hotspex account.

Thanks

Carly"

So, she deactivated my account before sending me my GC, and refuses to send it to me. I could have easily verified my mailing address to her. They are con artists. I am in the process of filing a complaint with the BBB in New York, NY, where their US Headquarters is. I was also going to file a complaint here until I saw that complaints have been disabled for the time being. Surprise surprise.

Avoid Hotspex like the PLAGUE!!!

*UPDATE*

Upon writing back & forth with Carly, I stated to her that I was in the process of filing a complaint with the BBB but if she agreed to send me my GC I would stop. She then emailed me the "release" and I had to state I agreed to it, and she said my GC would be sent next week. She could have done that from the beginning.

So, I won't file the complaint unless for some reason I don't get my GC.

I won't be dealing with them any more after this.

• 1 month later...

After waiting a month for my GC, I wrote to Carly. She ignored my first email, so I wrote her again asking where my GC was. She stated it had not been sent because they hadn't received my "release"!!! I then sent her the email back that SHE had sent ME, stating that my GC would be sent the following week - and attached the release she'd already gotten from me a month before. She ignored that email. I sent another email yesterday stating the same and that if I did not hear back from her & receive my GC in a timely manner I would go through with my plan to file a complaint with the BBB. Still no response.

This company makes me sick.

It's a shame that Hotspex decided to go that route - they used to be a pretty good company. I deactivated my account earlier this year and just cashed in all of my points for the charity exchange. I didn't want to wait to see what their "new" reward system was going to be like. And after having read about this here and on other sites, I'm glad I left!

Hope you get your GC and keep after them until you do! :)

I've been waiting one month and one day. I sent the release form and emails and have heard nothing. I've got to wait one week and six days before I can file a complaint with the BBB. I can't find them on BBB.org though. Does anyone know how to locate them? Here's an automated email I received in my Hotspex email:

8/11/2010

Dear majax79,

Hey there!

If you've placed an order for an Amazon Gift Certificate and have been waiting patiently for it to arrive.. Don't worry! We've experienced an overwhelming response to our Amazon XChange and have been keeping busy working on getting your order to you as soon as possible!

The wait time stated on our Amazon FAQ is approximately 3-6 weeks, although with the large amount of orders we have been receiving it may be a little longer.

As well, our response time to your inquiries may also be delayed. If you do not receive a confirmation email from us, don't worry! All is clear and your card is on the way!

We will personally contact anyone if there are any issues or difficulties with their orders.

Thank you for your patience.

Sincerely,

Hotspex Team

They have a headquarters in New York, NY and that is the BBB I filed my complaint with yesterday. I went to Hotspex's corporate site for their contact info: http://www.hotspex.biz/contact.asp

I didn't find them listed there either, but that is only because they a). aren't a member of the BBB (big surprise there!) and b). haven't had a recent complaint lodged against them. If you go to the US BBB site here, you can follow the steps to file a complaint and it will direct you to the proper one: http://www.bbb.org/us/

Seriously, if they think I am going to let them get away with cheating me out of my $15 Amazon GC they are sadly mistaken. I really am shocked at the way they have tried to scam me out of it, I still have the email from Carly herself stating she would send it to me the week following July 16th.

I was also going to file a complaint here until I saw that complaints have been disabled for the time being. Surprise surprise.

The complaint reporting here has been disabled for almost a year. The sad things is the lying about it being disabled for updates. It doesn't take a year to update anything. I found the complaint process here was not that great. About all it did was get them to respond, but you had to keep going back and forth with the survey company as they kept giving excuses to cheat you out of you points or money. There was no incentive for them to actually resolve the issue.

A BBB complaint works 1000% better. You make one complaint and let the BBB handle it. Since the survey companies know that your complaint is valid (and they know the BBB will see that it is valid), the survey company of forced to resolve it or they know their BBB rating will go down. I saw one survey company's rating go from an A to a B- after just a few complaints. Guess what? They resolved them and got their A rating back.

I was also going to file a complaint here until I saw that complaints have been disabled for the time being. Surprise surprise.

The complaint reporting here has been disabled for almost a year. The sad things is the lying about it being disabled for updates. It doesn't take a year to update anything. I found the complaint process here was not that great. About all it did was get them to respond, but you had to keep going back and forth with the survey company as they kept giving excuses to cheat you out of you points or money. There was no incentive for them to actually resolve the issue.

A BBB complaint works 1000% better. You make one complaint and let the BBB handle it. Since the survey companies know that your complaint is valid (and they know the BBB will see that it is valid), the survey company of forced to resolve it or they know their BBB rating will go down. I saw one survey company's rating go from an A to a B- after just a few complaints. Guess what? They resolved them and got their A rating back.

I didn't realize it had been disabled for that long....I hadn't needed to complain for a while I guess. This site is sadly lacking in many areas I'm afraid.

I hope that my BBB complaint works as well as you say it should. It's just pathetic that it has to come to this point.

• 2 weeks later...

The BBB is still waiting for a response from Hotspex, and I sent a second inquiry to them as to why Hotspex is now showing up on their site but isn't showing any complaints against them. They have mine and another was filed last night.

Waiting waiting waiting......

The BBB is still waiting for a response from Hotspex, and I sent a second inquiry to them as to why Hotspex is now showing up on their site but isn't showing any complaints against them. They have mine and another was filed last night.

Waiting waiting waiting......

I just sent them an email as to inquire about that very fact. I'll wait until next week and then I'll call the BBB.

I just got a response from the BBB regarding why no complaints are yet listed under Hotspex:

"We received your email dated September 01, 2010 in regard the query why the BBB website does not indicate any complaints filed against the company Hotspex.

The BBB does not indicate complaints that are still in the mediation process to give the business an opportunity to respond to complaints lodged against them. Once the complaint is closed, whether as resolved or not, the information on this company will then be updated.

Thank you for your vigilance. The BBB is always mindful of assisting consumers with their marketplace concerns."

I feel better now! :D

Thanks for the information Jellyfish. I wish they would have stated how long a case will remain open though.

I agree.....if it goes on too long I'll be inquiring again, don't worry about that! :wink: